Tuesday, May 25, 2010

You don't know how bad I got it


#987 - Wouldn’t It Be Good :: Nik Kershaw

“You must be joking,
you don’t know a thing about it.
You’ve got no problems,
I’d stay right there if I were you.
I got it harder,
you couldn’t dream how hard I got it.”

In some ways one could say this song could pair up with The Stones’ You Can’t Always Get What You Want, in as far as the “grass is always greener” perspective. And perhaps Kate Bush’s Running Up That Hill in the “can we trade places” vein.

That said, this song takes a more adolescent approach to the theory, stating in that “you don’t understand at all” tone of voice about how it would be oh so better to be in someone else’s life (or in these lyrics, “shoes”).

No wonder I loved this song so much as an adolescent. I still carry some love for it now, though I’ve gained a heap of perspective in how we all struggle, we are all conflicted, and we all have our own green behind the fence, our own sense of bliss and sadness and chaos, and sometimes life just sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment