Monday, May 17, 2010

Reminds me that there's time to change


#1,000 - Drops Of Jupiter :: Train

did you fall for a shooting star,
one without a permanent scar?

There is not a single time that this song comes on the radio that I do not sing-a-long with it. It doesn’t even matter where its playing, I will be there, singing.

One of my favorite memories of this song was one night, when my daughter Julia was in high school, I was picking up her, and two of her friends, from a party they’d been to. It was the middle of the summer, and it was late at night.

They were all exhausted, and the car had grown silent as they had tired of talking about the some of what had happened with each other. I flipped on the radio, and after an advertisement or two, this song came on. We all started singing along, a bit softly at first, but then all of us were singing - loudly - together.

This was during a very short period of time when my daughter and I did not get on so well, but in that moment we connected - a musical bridge was thrown across the great divide that sometimes happens in those years between 15 and 16, between mother and daughter. We all sang-a-long.

And, I guess I’d like to think that everyone sings-a-long to this one, no matter where they are, or who they are with.

No comments:

Post a Comment