Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Transition to another place


#985 - New Life :: Depeche Mode

"You think you only know me when you turn on the light."

Early Depeche Mode brings to mind late nights sat in my room listening to the radio, fingers aimed and ready on my portable cassette player, trying to record all my favorite songs of the week. They remind me of a first kiss on a Disneyland ride, Star Hits magazine, Licorice Pizza record store, and sleepovers at some of my closest friends houses.

I lost my taste for the band for quite awhile during the late 80's/early 90's due to some not-so-great associations with the band and someone(s) in my life at the time. It is kind of a shame when someone, or an experience, taints your perspective on a song and/or band. But sometimes it is inevitable, and impossible to change - memories and people attach to music, just as times in my life do.

Time heals though, and I usually am able to come back and forgive certain songs and bands for their memory triggers (or maybe I forgive the person, or time and place) - perhaps a bit of both?

This song, though, reminds me of good times and some of my memorable (in a good way) adolescent experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment