Thursday, May 20, 2010

There goes the fairy tale


#994 - If Love Is a Red Dress (Hang Me In Rags) :: Maria McKee
If Love Is a Red Dress (Hang Me In Rags) (live) :: Maria McKee

“If love is shelter,
I’m gonna walk in the rain.”


I have a big, probably semi-dysfunctional, love affair with songs about heartbreak. I love the rip your heart out and throw it on the ground where you lay kind of songs, full of bitterness, loneliness and regrets. I tend to cry my eyes out to songs like this, and there is something healing about that. Maybe it is that inner need to feel connected, even in pain (or maybe, especially when in pain) - so music about heartbreak acts as a cord to the collective sorrow we all feel when we lose love, or love in vain.

I’ve loved Maria McKee’s voice since her days with Lone Justice, and think she is terribly underrated as a singer. She is the voice of the five whiskeys down, corner of the bar in your favorite dive, feeling the sting of somebody leaving - and somehow, in all that despair, her songs have this inner lining of hope. Maybe that’s the soul in the heartbreak? Or in the fact that you would not be crying at all if you did not risk it all for love, and isn’t that part of living? That risk?

Love songs gone wrong sometimes bring me to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment