Monday, June 21, 2010

I'll put us back together at heart


# 970 - Don’t You (Forget About Me) :: Simple Minds

"Tell me your troubles and doubts,
Giving me everything inside and out."

Probably one of, if not the, quintessential song of the 80’s, and most likely the most memorable song associated with a John Hughes’ film.

The minute I hear it I see that opening scene of The Breakfast Club, with the cars driving up, and those first glimpses of each one of the characters. The movie is so deeply part of my make-up that its hard to remember the experience of watching it for the first time, though I remember the day, and the friends I was with.

This song reminds me of high school, of the friendships I had then, of the growing I did in those four years, and yes, of all those terribly awkward moments that make up that time in one’s adolescence.

It also reminds me of connection, of understanding, and the desire we all have to not be forgotten, to be seen, and to be understood.

And despite the very nature of this song being an almost anthem of a decade, and known by so many people, it still feels very personal to me when I listen to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment