Monday, June 7, 2010

I play my stupid songs


#977 - In The Garage :: Weezer

"I've got Kitty Pryde,
and Nightcrawler, too,
waiting there for me.
Yes I do, I do
."

This is one of two of my all-time favorite Weezer songs. When I first bought this album it was this song that I played over and over again, and it is still the song I turn up loudest, and sing-a-long to, when I play the album now.

I don't know what it is that I love so much about it.

It might be the comic book references, or the self-proclaimed "I'm a geek" feel to all of it. The whole feeling of being accepted, and having this space where you can feel that - play your guitar, write your stupid songs, collect whatever it is you love - its hard not to relate to that.

For me, it was my room. Posters all over my walls, vinyl albums, magazines, books, comics, and stacks of composition books with writings and journal entries in them. That was where I was me more than anywhere else when I was growing up (especially during mid-t- late adolescence). It was that place I did not have to be anyone for anybody else - and there is so much freedom, and creativity, that comes from having that kind of place.

I think that is why I love this song so much - for recognizing that space, and what and who we are within it.

No comments:

Post a Comment